PORTLAND, OR – The current escalation of violence in Israel and Palestine has deeply unsettled and appalled us. In times of acute crisis, meaningfully responding in a manner that rejects a militarized approach while affirming the dignity and humanity of those most affected by violence poses a significant challenge.
Although our primary focus lies outside the region of Israel and Palestine, we are keenly aware of the limitations of issuing yet another public statement at the height of violence. Nevertheless, we recognize the importance of direct communication with stakeholders, expressing our solidarity with all those enduring the consequences of the ongoing violence, and emphasizing the significance of pursuing nonviolent avenues to end the conflict.
We stand in unity with numerous colleagues in the peace, security, and justice community, issuing an unequivocal call for an immediate ceasefire, an end to the siege, cessation of all weapon shipments, and the urgent implementation of a massive humanitarian aid operation in Gaza.
For further related statements by partner organizations and networks, please refer to the following:
- The Alliance For Peacebuilding: Statement On The Violent Conflict In Israel And The Palestinian Territories – https://www.allianceforpeacebuilding.org/afp-publications/afp-statement-israel-palestinian-territories101223
- Peace Action: GAZA CEASEFIRE NOW! – https://www.peaceaction.org/2023/10/31/gaza-ceasefire-now/
- Madre: Israel Launches Ground Operation: We Need a Ceasefire Now – https://www.madre.org/palestine/
- Win Without War: Increasing Escalation in Gaza Reaching Tipping Point https://winwithoutwar.org/increasing-escalation-in-gaza-reaching-tipping-point/
- Peace Direct: Statement on the Rising Toll of Violence in Israel and Palestine –https://www.peacedirect.org/statement-on-the-rising-toll-of-violence-in-israel-and-palestine/
- Center for International Policy: Ending the War and Ensuring Human Security in Israel-Palestine: Five Recommendations https://cfde140b-3710-4a65-aa9a-48b5868a02dd.usrfiles.com/ugd/3ba8a1_1ac83b20f6c8431a94301ccafe3cb88d.pdf
- Friends Committee on National Legislation: The U.S. Must Act to De-Escalate the Violence in Israel and Palestine https://fcnl.quorum.us/campaign/51886/
The War Prevention Initiative Team
The War Prevention Initiative focuses on transforming the global security paradigm to promote alternatives to violence and militarism. We research, advocate for, and advance knowledge on proven peacebuilding practices to create a world beyond war.