Peaceful Conflict Resolution is Possible
World leaders and large swaths of the public often assume that major political conflicts are settled by military force. They believe that war is inevitable. The truth is, there are many alternatives. Through learning, listening, and putting those alternatives into practice, we can change assumptions and create a more peaceful world.
- War Prevention Initiative: “Nonviolent alternatives must be pursued in Ukraine to deescalate war.”February 25, 2022; Contact: Kelsey Coolidge; email@example.com War Prevention Initiative: “Nonviolent alternatives must be pursued in Ukraine to deescalate war.” PORTLAND, OR The War Prevention Initiative is deeply distraught and condemns the Russian military invasion of Ukraine. This situation is complex, evolving, and much is still unknown. We echo the sentiment of our friends and … Read more
- “There is no military solution.” Time to get real about it.by Patrick T. Hiller “There is no military solution to the conflict.” That was the conclusion reached by the Biden administration earlier this year, which set into motion the plans for the withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Afghanistan by the end of August. Nearing the termination of this process, in a few short days we witnessed the … Read more
- WPI Research Intern Publishes Op-ed on Bystander InterventionWe’re happy to share this op-ed by our Research Intern Adam Arman. He argues that with the uptick in hate crimes against Asians, the misappropriated term “jihad” needs to be reclaimed as a way to build peace. Click here for the full op-ed: What Islam can teach us about bystander intervention
- War Prevention Initiative: “Ensure atrocities prevention measures and support long-term peacebuilding efforts in Ethiopia”FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE December 10, 2020 Contact: Mulugeta Haiybano (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Patrick Hiller (email@example.com) War Prevention Initiative: “Ensure atrocities prevention measures and support long-term peacebuilding efforts in Ethiopia” PORTLAND, OR – At the War Prevention Initiative, we call for urgent and long-term responses to address the civil-military conflict between Ethiopia’s central government and the Tigray … Read more
- Campaign for Nonviolent Elections 2020The War Prevention Initiative is supportive of the Commitment to Uphold Democracy articulated in the Hold the Line Guide and the TRUST Network’s goal to prevent and mitigate violence stimulated by electoral politics and underlying social issues – before the 2020 elections, during the vote, and in the aftermath. In order to spread awareness about … Read more
- Peace Education, not Patriotic EducationThe President’s call to “restore patriotic education in our schools” via the creation of the “1776 Commission” aimed at controlling public school curricula once again set off my alarm bells.
How We Solve Conflict Without Violence
Learn about peacebuilding alternatives to war and other political conflict.