Our vision is a world beyond war by 2030 and humanity united by a global system of peace with justice.
Our mission is to advance the Global Peace System by supporting, developing and collaborating with peacebuilding efforts in all sectors of society.
OUR CORE VALUES
Nonviolence – We promote strategic and principled nonviolent solutions over any kind of armed conflict.
Empathy – We view social problems through the eyes of others and respectfully communicate with each other in the pursuit of mutual understanding.
Planetary loyalty – We consider ourselves global citizens, living in harmony with humanity and nature.
Moral imagination* – We strive for a moral perception of the world in that we: (1) imagine people in a web of relationships including their enemies; (2) foster the understanding of others as an opportunity rather than a threat; (3) pursue the creative process as the wellspring that feeds the building of peace; and (4) risk stepping into the unknown landscape beyond violence.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Support Rotary International’s focus on peace by aiding the Rotarian Action Group for Peace with human, logistical and content-related resources.
- Support development of effective strategies to convince Americans that the United States should not promote war, militarism or weapons proliferation, but rather embrace conflict resolution practices that have been shown to prevent, shorten, and eliminate war as viable alternatives to local, regional and global conflicts.
- Support building grassroots social movements seeking a world beyond war.
- Actively contribute to peace science and public scholarship on war prevention issues.
- Share information and resources with multiple constituencies in an understandable manner.
- Provide evidence-based information on peace and conflict issues with immediately potential doable policy advice to public policy makers.
- Advance the understanding and growth of the Global Peace System.
- Convene national and international experts in ongoing constructive dialog on war prevention issues via our Parkdale Peace Gatherings.
- Connect likely and unlikely allies to create new opportunities.
- Participate in peacebuilding networks and membership organizations.
- We are at a stage in human history where we can say with confidence that there are better and more effective alternatives to war and violence.
- A Global Peace System is evolving.
- Poverty, employment, energy, education, the environment and other social and natural factors are interconnected in peacebuilding.
- Peace Science and Peace Education provide a path to a more just and peaceful world.
- Multi-track diplomacy offers a sectoral framework for creating peacebuilding opportunities
*This concept was developed by peace and conflict studies scholar and practitioner John Paul Lederach in his book “The Moral Imagination. The Art and Soul of Building Peace“.